Sold to the Normandy Tank Museum
This vehicle was delivered in December 1944 (Hull nr. 4393) by the Pressed Steel Car Company located in south Chicago (called Hegewisch Station) as M7B1. It was vehicle 604 in Series 1 (December 1944). In total 826 Priests are produced. The drive line of the M7B1 is identical to the Sherman M4A3. Engine used was also the Ford GAA. At the end of the war this Priest was transported to Europe for active service. Details of this period are unfortunately unknown.
After the war it was stored in a USA warehouse in France. In the early 60‟s it was modified to M7B2 by ABS France (Atelier de construction de Bourges) and saw active duty in the German army (Augustdorf) till the early 70‟s. After active service this Priest was transported to a German proving ground but used for towing practices. Therefore it was stored dry which explained its current condition. It was salvaged for restoration in mid-2004. This Priest is in very good condition due to the favourable storage conditions. As part of the restoration plan it is already converted back to the condition as it is delivered in December 1944 (Model B1).
Gearbox and final drives are in good condition. It has very good tracks (tracks produced in 1964) and road wheels. Work and investment to complete this restoration is limited. Hull is absolutely uncut and never got any battle damage. The 105 mm. howitzer is still installed however deactivated according the Dutch law (certificate will be supplied)
Restoration work Museum Priest M7B1
Follow BAIV BV on